Friday, May 10, 2013

Operation Postcard

Quite a few years ago when I was teaching Creative Writing our school principal was off for a month after an operation, so as a class we all wrote postcards of encouragement and sent them off to her. She was thrilled.  I sent them all at once but I wish I'd staggered them a little bit so she would receive them little bit by little bit. Although I guess her mail box was flooded on that particular day. There were at least 30 in total and I dubbed the assignment "Operation Postcard." A few kids weren't too sure about the assignment but I think we need to give kids kindness opportunities often - then it becomes normal and easy.

I had a friend who recently organized something similar for a friend of ours who is going through chemo (she told us her idea about sending a postcard from our hometown with words of encouragement for our friend - whom I'm sure has been flooded with cards from around the world - facebook can definitely be a good thing). What a simple, sweet idea! Kindness and the written word go hand in hand! I know this friend is feeling the love!

Do you have a friend that could use some encouragement (because they are missing home or going through some struggles)? Gather up a group of people and create your own postcard blitz! Or maybe, you gather up a group of postcards and send them weekly to that someone who could use some lift to their week. I'm doing my own little blitz of postcards today (going to various people just to say hello). I bought these postcards below in the Ikea 'As Is' section - 5 cents for a package of 5! Woohoo - mail and a deal!



364/1000  **Postcard Blitz** That's 8 cards zipping around out there...now!

Have you had the opportunity to send an rsvp reply to a wedding invitation recently...do anything fun with it? I like adding my own writing/comments and playing around with the fill in the blanks. But it is also fun to put something in the envelope (a cool picture of you and the couple, some tea, a magnet of a cool quotation about love, a coffee gift card for a treat during the stress of wedding planning, an article you clipped about marriage tips...well you get the picture).

No comments: