Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Conspiracy Theory or...

Have you noticed anything strange lately? Have you noticed people acting differently? Maybe you are in on it and involving others...It feels as if that there is some kind of unofficial or unwritten theme/rule this year and it is KINDNESS - yep, Year of Kindness. At least that is what I am dubbing it. Seriously, I'm feeling the love. 

I made one of my New Year's Resolutions (yep, I make them and do my best to keep them) to do something kind everyday and sometimes it is a challenge and sometimes it isn't. Either way it's been a fun experience so far and the more I make it a part of my day/my life/my outlook, the more I see it everywhere. Kind of like how you never saw THAT car, until you bought one, and then it seemed like everyone had one. Seriously, I have never seen so many Mazda 5s in my life - where did they all come from. I can always pick mine out in the parking lot - it's the dirty one.

And I'm not saying that Kindness is something new but I'm seeing more of a movement lately. It was the official Random Acts of Kindness last week (I love anonymous and random kindness), I just read about a kindness bazaar, saw a compliment challenge on facebook, Chatelaine magazine has started a year long kindness campaign, and it seems to be prominent on recent blogs and social media. I started my January by answering and then posting this offer/challenge:




Erin Ballard Evans
January 3
2013 Creative Pay-It-Forward: The first five people to comment on this status will receive from me**, sometime in the next calendar year, a gift - perhaps a book, or a baked goods, or something crafty or handmade- a surprise*! There will likely be no warning and it will happen whenever the mood strikes me. The catch? **Those five people must make the same offer in their FB status.
16Like · 
 · Share


I commented on someone else's post and therefore had to post my own - it was pretty cool to see it make the rounds on good ol' facebook (sometimes social media can be used for good). I've sent out my first gift (handmade too). I hope it was liked.

It's fun when kindness comes out of the blue - for me this happened on Valentine's Day! My husband got up on Valentine's Day and made us heart pancakes (which was sweet and an amazing way to start the day).


Love that guy!

Which was definitely unexpected and lovely but the real surprise happened when he came home later that day. He was telling me a little bit about his day at work/school and then he pulls out a beautiful pink silk scarf for me...from...Daisy. So Daisy is an international student in Ryan's class and her Mom brought this scarf from Shanghai and Daisy gave it to my husband to give to his wife (me) for Valentine's Day. Wow! Just wow!

Lovely, just lovely!

I'm sure the scarf nicely matched the blush in my cheeks from receiving such a lovely gift from an absolute stranger. This kind of gesture inspires me and warms my heart.

Conspiracy theory...nay, love just love.



Be the change you wish to see in the world - Gandhi.


298/1000 a sweet thank you for one!

Big p.s. I'd love to hear about kindness you have experienced lately :)

1 comment:

Tracie M said...

Awesome! That is one pretty scarf :)