Saturday, January 11, 2014

Where Does a Word of Thanks Lead...

Don't know if any of you accepted my challenge of sending a thank you note for good customer service but after posting that blog I sat down and wrote mine! Before I put pen to paper I sat and thought about my past interactions with Dan at the grocery store - he has always been helpful, pleasant, and geniune. And what makes him so great is that he is consistently this way (maybe I've missed him on his bad days or maybe he doesn't have bad days - either way, he's great). I addressed the note to the manager because I feel/felt like Dan should be recognized for what he does day in, and day out.

As I was writing my note I started to think that perhaps this type of mail is the best kind of mail I can send. Sure it's nice when friends and family members notice what you do and congratulate you on a job well done, but a stranger? An unbiased party? That is a whole different ball game isn't it? Somehow it is more legitimate (especially to your boss anyway). So I encourage you to try it.

Indeed!

Of course, you don't need to send mail to do this either. You can simply pipe up when you encounter great service or pop by the customer service desk and chat with the manager. Or simply start handing out compliments to strangers. I remember I was standing in line and the lady in front of me had a brightly coloured pedicure. I can't remember what the line was for but it seemed to be a bit of a wait. Anyway, I leaned in and said, "I love the colour of your toes." She gushed in return, obviously thrilled to let me know that her daughter and her had gone together and she had let her daughter pick out the colour (she was maybe even a little unsure about the bright colour). My comment had clearly made her day. A small observation. A few words off the tongue. And you know what, the exchange made my day too.

Are you looking for more/any ideas of mail to send? How about a thank you for a recent gift - traditional note or maybe a photo of you using, wearing, eating the gift (whatever happens to work). Manage to snap some great family photos over the holiday or have a few favourites - send them off to friends and family for the fridge (it seems we print fewer and fewer photos in this digital age). Send a Happy New Year card! A Have Your Best Year Ever card! An I Look Forward to Seeing More of You in 2014 card! Have some fun this January through the post. If you are snowed in, iced in or just choosing to stay cosy inside it's a great time to get creative.

Here are a couple of thank you photos I should send to my Sister-In-Law and her awesome family for one of the coolest/best Christmas presents my kids received this year (and homemade to boot)!

The Piper and Sam Show!

Oh my... is she ever at home
on a stage (or tv for that matter).

671/1000 14 fun pieces going out on this rainy Saturday! Inching my way to 700 and ever closer to my goal of a thousand paper letters! Woohoo!

2 comments:

Katina said...

Great thoughts Erin!!! And very cool gift that your kids received!!

ryan said...

Great pics