Monday, November 25, 2013

Advent Calendar Monday

     I know Chocolate Advent Calendars are very popular and maybe why a lot of people love the coming of December but that's not my story. Chocolate calendars didn't make their debut in my house until I was almost in my teens. And they were really just an excuse to eat chocolate in the morning/everyday (not the best chocolate either). Having said that there are a number of gourmet chocolatiers that are putting out Advent calendars these days that would make any chocolate aficionado drool and I could definitely get on board with these (Rogers, Purdy's, Lindt...). Mmmm...I do love good chocolate!

My memories are of Christmas story/Nativity Advent calendars - beautiful colours and sweet tiny pictures behind each door. It became about conversation every morning - "What do you think it will be today?" Followed by "Oh tell me about that one?" What a great way to start the day and slow down for conversation during a very busy month. Children grow up so fast, so any opportunity to create moments, memories and traditions is important and meaningful (I remember those moments).

Vintage!

This is the kind I grew up with - German most likely. It actually has a fold out and a slide on the right side to make the animals move. My Mom found this one in her Christmas decorations a few years ago. I've kept it in the package until now.

A collection!

These are some I've used over the years and a couple still in the package - one tells jokes, another is the Nativity story, another is the Christmas Carol story and a few others. This is just a small number out of what I've found in my Christmas decorations (Advent Calendars are rather flat, take up little room so... perhaps having lots doesn't make me a hoarder...I hope). 

Maybe, I'm tuned in but I've been noticing a lot of Advent Calendars out there as I've been shopping around. A resurgence perhaps? Or maybe they've never taken a dip in popularity (I hope not). The problem is remembering to get them before December 1st so now is the time - a little joy each day!

Adding two to the count (my blog post didn't make it up last week...I had the chance for a few days away with my husband and it was lovely).

563/1000 (going to add big to the count soon...Christmas cards and such!).


A little post script: My Mom just reminded me that my Grandma used to give me Advent calendars too.  I don't remember that but it warms my heart

No comments: