Thursday, January 14, 2010

Change of plans

I was going to write about envelopes today but instead I am going to write about...oh whoa, wait...did you think that I was giving up on my one thousand letters.  That change of plans meant giving up my challenge? Nope, definitely not.

As I was saying, I was going to write about the joy of the envelope today but that will have to wait until next time because today I HAVE to write about being thankful. For the last ten years I have been a high school English teacher and in the last four I have also taught Creative Writing (my favourite). During that time in the classroom I talked a lot about writing and encouraged the writing of many a thank you note. In my Creative Writing class I aimed for at least one a month (count 30 kids - that is a lot of great mail going out to the world). 


But before I was a teacher I worked in customer service (a hotel, retail store, major U.S. mouse-eared theme park, insurance call centre) and I really enjoyed it (helping people). I was lucky to have worked for companies that had great training and I prided myself on good service.  Which is why I think I totally appreciate it when I have great service from someone. I know we have all experienced bad service and we've probably even complained about it too. But how often have we complimented good service? Or gone a step further and written a letter to the company to celebrate an employee - a letter that will no doubt go into their file and be passed on to them by a manager or whomever they answer to (not just the comment card tucked in with the restaurant receipt or in the spa change room). A thank you letter for great service is a beautiful thing.

I live in a townhouse and just had my one year evaluation/walk through for areas that needed repair. I was lucky enough to have Rick come in and help me out - what a lovely gentleman. He remembered my name and used it in conversation, he gave me tips on things in my house that I didn't ask about, he did an excellent job on every repair, and even had time to chat up my 9 1/2 month old daughter. He was very personable and had a very kind nature. He had to come back a second day (today actually) and he called before he came, remembered my daughter's name and was just an all round great guy. I HAD to write about being thankful today because I will be sending a letter to his boss to express my thanks.

I realize that I haven't done this in awhile and this has reminded me to pay attention to the good service (it's far too easy to miss it and focus on our bad experiences). I'm challenging the rest of you to be on the look out and then get that pen out (or keyboard) and celebrate good service.

One thank you letter going local (Richmond).
17/1000

No comments: