Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Envelopes are exciting too!

I don't think envelopes get the credit they deserve. And quite frankly, letters without envelopes are just words in the wind or maybe, notes passed in class. Do kids still do this? Pass notes in class? I remember this fondly. But now it happens very rarely since the introduction of texting - notes are so passe and slow. Funny though I met with some friends from high school last month and one of the girls mentioned she has all of her notes from back then. The excitement it created was great - the other girls wanted to see them - nostalgia is such a temptress.

But really, think about all those old movies, or movies set in old times, (specifically war movies) - there is always someone who has a stack of tattered and worn envelopes wrapped in twine or occasionally ribbon that they have saved. The letters were simply too meaningful to part with.

So envelopes - they hold dearly our important words. They are also the first sign that something special has arrived! I went to the mailbox yesterday and found the most glorious green envelope. There were three other envelopes in there (two white, one brown) and it shined in stark contrast to their drabness. I bought a Valentine's Day card for my husband from a great little shop on Etsy called Lavish from Seattle, Washington. The seller sent it in the lovliest green envelope -what a treat! The card I bought is super cool too (Ryan don't look). She has some other really cool Valentine's Day cards in her shop (check it out). I have to compliment her on her writing on the envelope as well - so beautiful.

Of course I am already thinking about Valentine's Day (the holiday of love and cards, or is it love of cards?). The Lavish one is probably one of a couple cards I will give my husband - I can never quite pick out just one. There is a robot one coming soon :) But back to envelopes - they can say a lot. I love sending coloured ones - you can pick up bundles at your local chain card stores for a few dollars. I think after season they clear out what they have - I've picked up some great yellow, orange, pink, and red ones in the last year (usually bundles of 25). They really do make your mail POP!

A few other ideas to try: rubber stamps or even potato stamps, doodling, old school airmail envelopes (love these), fun postage stamps, custom address labels, and stickers.

If you have checked out my Etsy store, Paper Route, you know that I make envelopes too. I love to work with maps, sheet music, and used children's books. But anything that is bound for the recycling bin - magazine pages, dictionary pages, old posters, wrapping paper, and so on. It's easy to make a template - I'll write about this soon.

Mail is enroute to Kelowna (1), Ontario (1) and Norway (1).
20/1000

1 comment:

angelayen said...

I have a box filled with every card or letter I've ever received; birthday cards, thank you cards, post cards and yes, even notes passed during class in elementary school! There's one note in particular that when I read it now it's seriously the lamest note ever. But I remember reading it in grade 4 and literally falling out of my chair laughing. I guess it was a "you had to be there" kind of thing?